Our store was first opened in the early 1960s by Hal Woods as Woods Hardware and Furniture across the street from where our building now stands . A second location in Cornelia called Woods Furniture Company of Cornelia opened in 1968. In 1971, plans were drawn up for the current building—replacing the library and Masonic Lodge that had held the prominent-corner spot previously. Woods opened at 1475 North Washington Street in 1972. Around 1984, owners Benny and Lois Wood decided to focus on the furniture side of their business and Woods Hardware and Furniture became Woods Furniture. Mike and Sherry Callahan bought the store in 2005. They grew the gift shop section of the business along-side the furniture; Woods Furniture and Gift Shoppes was voted Habersham’s Best Furniture Store year after year.
Owners Kevin and Melissa Wood are both graduates of the University of Georgia
Kevin and Melissa Wood bought the store in January of 2019. Kevin, born and raised in Clarkesville, owned and operated a successful regional carwash chain. He sold his corporation in 2017. Kevin and Melissa wanted a business close to home that could be developed to contribute to their community. Plans to update and revitalize Woods in the Historic Downtown Clarkesville location began. They renamed it Wood’s Mercantile, bringing new sophistication to an established Southern brand. Updating both the inside and the outside of the building will, tentatively, begin in late summer of 2019.
Kevin and Melissa live with their four children at Windy Ridge Farm in Clarkesville, Georgia.